Andersen Air Force Base history

 

In a tent on Pati Point in 1944, four men of the 854th Airfield Construction Battalion stood at a draftsman's table drawing lines on a blueprint that would become runways, taxiways and parking aprons for World War II B-29 operations. North Field's first runway became operational Feb. 3, 1945. The first combat mission from North Field took place Feb. 25.

After World War II, the Army Air Forces in the Pacific closed many airfields, leaving the 19th Bomb Group at North Field as the only bombardment unit of the Far East Air Forces.

In the fall of 1946, construction began for permanent structures. When the Air Force became a separate service in 1947, North Field became North Guam Air Force Base. The installation was renamed Andersen AFB on Oct. 7, 1949, in honor of Brig. Gen. James R. Andersen, who was presumed lost at sea in the crash of his B-24 Liberator, Feb. 26, 1945, on a flight from Kwajalein to Hawaii.

During the Korean War, Andersen served in an administrative and logistical capacity, operating ammunition dumps and providing maintenance to transient aircraft. Following the war, Andersen began supporting bomber and aerial refueling units on rotational deployments from the United States. During this time, Andersen was home to the B-36, B-47, B-50, B-52, B-29, KC-97 and KC-135.

Andersen's role in Vietnam is legendary, starting on June 18, 1965, when 27 B-52 bombers were launched from its runway. These flights began Operation Arc Light, bombing missions against Viet Cong base operations, troop concentrations and supply lines. In early 1972, 153 B-52s lined the airfield in a surge of Arc Light missions titled Bullet Shot. It took five miles of ramp space to park them and an expert to ensure their orderly movement since a blocked taxiway could prove a mission-crippling impasse.

Later that year Operation Linebacker II got underway when, on December 18, 1972, 87 B-52s were launched from Andersen in one hour and 43 minutes. Throughout the 11-day operation, Andersen-based B-52s flew 379 of the 729 sorties. Often called the "11-day war," Linebacker II led to the renewal of the Paris Peace Talks and, on January 28, 1973, the signing of a cease-fire agreement with the government of North Vietnam.

Two years after U.S. military involvement in the Vietnam War ended Andersen participated in Operation New Life, becoming home to thousands of Vietnamese refugees until officials could process them into the United States. In the end, 109,553 refugees departed Andersen for the United States aboard 518 aircraft.

The post-Vietnam period brought a return to routine operations at Andersen, with B-52s on the ramp throughout the 1980s and the base remaining a vital overseas platform for carrying out the USAF's mission of global deterrence.

In support of the Gulf War in 1991, Andersen aided in transporting and deploying 200 aircraft, 2,200 troops and 2,212 tons of cargo. In addition, Andersen munitions specialists shipped more than 75 million pounds of bombs to the Gulf.

During Operation Fiery Vigil in June 1991, more than 21,000 people and their pets evacuated from Clark Air Base in the Philippines, came through Andersen following the eruption of Mount Pinatubo.
The Air Force inactivated 633rd Air Base Wing Oct. 1, 1994, and activated the 36th Air Base Wing, in keeping with the Air Force chief of staff's policy of keeping the most highly decorated and longest serving Air Force units on active duty. The Air Force had inactivated the 36th Fighter Wing at Bitburg Air Base, Germany, Oct. 1, 1994.

In October 1994, the U.S. Navy Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Five relocated to Andersen from the now closed Naval Air Station, Guam.

Today, with its huge fuel and munitions storage facilities and dual runways, Andersen is an important forward-based logistics support center for contingency forces deploying throughout the southwest Pacific and Indian oceans. Andersen's ideal flying conditions, relatively unlimited airspace and nearby air-to-ground range make this an ideal training area for the U.S. military and militaries of nearby countries.

Printable Fact Sheet

 

 

  • Women make their mark in Air Force history

    By Airman Alexandria Bland 36th Civil Engineer Squadron During World War II, a group of young women became pioneers in the aviation industry by forming what was known as the Women Airforce Service Pilots or WASP. Those women are now looked upon by many people as heroes and role models because they

  • 554th RHS celebrates a year on Andersen

    One year ago, Tuesday, marked the day which the first Rapid Engineer Deployable Heavy Operational Repair Squadron Engineer permanent party arrived on Andersen. In celebration, RED HORSE conducted a unit physical training session at the 36th Wing headquarters grounds Tuesday morning and hosted a

  • 36th OG reactivates, gains new commander

    The 36th Operations Group was reactivated after more than a decade to serve as the focal point for the Air Force's expeditionary operations taking place on Guam. The 36th OG will assume the mission of the 36th Expeditionary Operations Group and establish a permanent command structure for deployed

  • Building of new medical clinic complete

    On Feb. 16 members of the 36th Medical Group celebrated the completion of Phase Four in the building of the new medical clinic construction. "Phase Four is the last and final phase of the new clinic project, and it consists of the construction of the connecting hallways between the new clinic, the

  • Coming soon: bigger, better, brand new base exchange

    For those who love to shop, this is a dream come true. Within two years Andersen will have a large, new and improved Army and Air Force Exchange Service Base Exchange. This building will be located directly across from the new shoppette. It will have approximately 60 percent more space, which is

  • Assistant SECAF visits Andersen, speaks of future Guam development

    Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Logistics the Honorable William C. "Bill" Anderson and his Navy counterpart, the Honorable B.J. Penn, traveled to Guam to analyze the status of joint basing and future Guam development. Retired U.S. Marine Corps Maj. Gen. David

  • Bombers arrive at Andersen

    The first three B-52 Stratofortress bombers from Minot Air Force Base, N.D., arrived here Feb. 22 under an overcast sky. A total of six bombers from the 5th Bomb Wing will call Andersen home for an undetermined amount of time at the request of U.S. Pacific Command officials.The bombers are the