Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
10. Tropicana: This building is currently used by deployed squadrons, but was originally a service club built in the mid 1950’s as part of SAC’s build up on the base.
11. Old Gilkeson Field: In honor of Brig Gen Adlai H Gilkeson, who had a long and distinguished career in the Pacific Theater. Currently the base’s running track, this field at one time had bleachers where Andersenites watched the Bombers football team. The field was also used for Bob Hope’s regular USO visits in the 1960’s and early 1970’s.
12. Meehan Theater: Opened 1 Mar 56, this theatre has been the center of AAFB’s and hosts films, plays, shows, talks and briefings. It is named for Col Meehan, 90th Bomb Group commander who disappeared in 1942.
13. Chapel 1: Built in 1955, this unique structure has served the spiritual needs of Andersenites
14. Latte Stone Point: Located in front of the HQ building, these two authentic Latte Stones have been at this location since the late 1959 after being excavated from the Maagas River, Fena area, in south-central Guam.
15. AAFB Monument: On 25 Apr 50, Brig Gen Andersen’s son and widow, James Roy Jr and Mrs. Ester Andersen, were present for the dedication ceremony of Andersen AFB. The plaque was originally placed in front of the 19th Wing Headquarters, the current site of the Arc Light Memorial. In September 2007, marking the AF’s 60th anniversary, it was installed at the 36th Wing HQ and the base was re-dedicated by Brig Gen Owens, 36 WG/CC.
16. Henry “Red” Erwin Building: The current 36 CRG building commemorates WWII hero and Medal of Honor recipient MSgt (ret) Henry Erwin. Inside the building are plaques for all Air Force Medal of Honor winners, with the exception of two most recent recipients AIC William H. Pitsenbarger and CMSgt Richard L. Etchberger.
17. Lucas-LeVay Building: On December 17, 2004, the new 36th Security Forces Building was dedicated to two fallen security forces personnel. Both Airman Laurie Lucas and Sergeant Stacy LeVay lost their lives in the line of duty on Andersen AFB (See Chronology).
18. Lafferty Hall and Plaque: This dorm across from 36th Wing Headquarters is where SAC’s 60th Bomb Squadron crews lived while on alert. In 1984, B-52 navigator 1Lt Michael Lafferty was killed off base, and in early 1985 the building was dedicated in his honor. A small plaque can be found on the outside stairwell facing the parking lot.