AGANA HEIGHTS, Guam --
At 8 a.m., the National Weather Service (NWS), Weather Forecast Office Guam, issued a Tropical Storm Watch for Guam and Rota as a tropical depression forms south-southeast of Guam.
A tropical storm watch means tropical storm conditions, including damaging winds are possible within the next 48 hours.
As of 7 a.m., the tropical depression was located 10.1 degrees north latitude and 145.8 degrees east longitude, about 240 miles south-southeast of Guam and 345 miles south of Saipan, with maximum sustained winds of 30 mph. It is expected to gradually intensify today and tonight, possibly becoming a tropical storm Wednesday morning.
The tropical depression is expected to continue in a slow motion to the northwest and will pass southwest of Guam Wednesday afternoon. Showers, thunderstorms and gusty winds will build across the Marianas tonight from south to north and continue through Thursday. Winds will increase to between 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph in heavier showers. The strongest winds will be felt farther south across Guam and Rota, decreasing slightly toward Tinian and Saipan. Rainfall amounts between 3 and 5 inches are possible.
Due to the uncertainty of exactly how close to Guam the tropical depression will pass, it is advised to take basic precautionary actions now. To prepare for any scenario, residents and visitors are advised to:
* Locate or prepare your emergency preparedness kits for your household
* Clear loose debris around your yard and store any items that may become airborne with heavy wind
* Gas your car and get fuel for your generators
* Stay up to date in the event there are changes with or updates to changes in Conditions of
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind all residents and visitors to practice extreme caution if traveling in these conditions in the coming days.
Monitor the latest advisory information through the following sites, especially if outdoor or marine activities are planned:
· NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/ <http://facebook.com/NWSGuam/>
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/ <http://facebook.com/GHSOCD/>
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer, Jenna G. Blas at (671) 478-0208 or via email at email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> .